What's On - DecemberEnded Dec 31, 2018 at 10:59 PM
Festive fun along the river this December
As London brims with tinsel-tastic things to do this winter, embrace the seasonal spirit with us, the capital’s River Bus service, and take advantage of the many opportunities for festive fun.
From ice-skating to festive markets to Christmas lights, there are many magical opportunities to make merry that can be easily reached by boat:
Discover all the activities you can do this winter at The O2!
- Up at The O2 is feeling merry this season and will be bringing London’s top choirs to the roof of the world’s most popular entertainment venue, 52 metres above the ground. Between 14-16 and 21-23 December, the choirs will be performing classic Christmas hits as you reach the peak and warm yourself with a hot drink. Book here.
- You can also get your Christmas shopping done at ICON Outlet at The O2, where you can receive up to 60% off premium brands. Shop now.
- Going to a concert at The O2? Treat yourself and travel like the stars with our River Bus Express service for events at the Arena. Start your night with a fantastic trip on the river taking in the best sights of the capital before your gig. For more information and for special offers see here.
Nearest pier: North Greenwich Pier
Inspired by seeing leopard slugs on a television documentary series by David Attenborough, the Turner Prize nominated artist has adorned the front of Tate Britain with two giant slugs that slither around the main entrance, their bodies and trails glimmering with energy efficient LED lights. You can view this wondrous winter commission, Monster Chetwynd, until 28 February 2019, but if you visit on the 15 December, you'll also be able to enjoy Tate Britain's free Winter Fair, where you'll find pop-up stalls, food, craft makers, live music and more.
Nearest pier: Millbank Pier
Light Up Winter at Battersea Power Station
Battersea Power Station is filled with Christmas cheer this year!
- From 29 November – 24 December, Busk in London will be holding live music performances under Grosvenor Arch and on the Piazza every Thursday and Friday evenings, and Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
- From 29 November 2018 until 4 January 2019, make sure that you visit the Piazza to see Battersea Power Station’s interactive Christmas Tree created by Studio Bruyant, the Paris-based creative studio. The photogenic installation creates patterns of light as different numbers of people approach it. People will even be able to explore underneath the tree to discover an immersion spider web of light.
- Also starting on 29 November, they’ll be holding workshops for all the family: Christmas Wreath making with Moyses Stevens, Candle Making for kids, Ham Carving with Tapas Brindisa and many more!
- And between 22 December – 31 December, take the little ones to The Village Hall to see Mimi and the Mountain Dragon by Skewbald Theatre. Embark on an exciting story packed full of adventure, snow and dragons! With lively songs and magical puppets bringing to life Michael Morpurgo's beautifully atmospheric tale of 'Mimi and the Mountain Dragon'.
Nearest pier: Battersea Power Station Pier
Southbank Centre Winter Festival
This season, Southbank Centre will be transformed into a winter fantasy. You‘ll be able to catch family shows, twinkling lights, markets and much more until 6 January 2019. Find out more here.
Nearest pier: London Eye (Waterloo) Pier
Tower of London Ice Rink
With the city’s most iconic historical landmark as a backdrop, you can ice skate around the 1040 sqm ring while taking in the magic of the Tower of London. Visit until 6 January 2019. Book here.
Nearest pier: Tower Pier
Skate at Somerset House
Until 13 January 2019, head to Somerset House for a day or night of ice skating on London’s most beautiful ice rink, with Skate Lates providing a fantastic soundtrack to your skate session. You can also head to Fortnum & Mason Lodge to grab a warming drink and snack. Find out more and book here.
Nearest pier: Blackfriars Pier/Embankment Pier
Ice Skating at Canary Wharf
The fabulous ring at Canada Square Park has returned this winter, so get your skates on. It's open until 16 February 2019 and you can glide around the main 1200 sqm rink. Buy your tickets here.
Nearest pier: Canary Wharf Pier
Victorian Santa's Grotto at the Museum of London Docklands
Take the kids to visit Santa’s grotto at Museum of London Docklands between 1-23 December. The grotto will be a vivid recreation of a Victorian street, as imagined by Charles Dickens, decorated with frost, holly, mistletoe and the sound of Christmas carols being played in the distance. Find out more and book here.
Nearest pier: Canary Wharf Pier
And don’t forget that the Christmas spirit is also on board our vessels, with festive drinks and food to get you ready for the season. Check our menu.